RLSS National Pool Lifeguard Qualification
The National Pool Lifeguard Qualification is the nationally recognised qualification for anyone wishing to work as a lifeguard in a swimming pool. The course now consists of a Foundation Module and a Site Specific Module, both of which are included in the following course.HOWEVER, IF YOUR WORKPLACE IS SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN THE VENUE FOR THIS COURSE, YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO DO THE SITE SPECIFIC TRAINING FOR THAT POOL. This would be presented by the Staff Training Manager during your Induction or Staff Training Day at your workplace. On the day of the exam each candidate needs to bring with them a friend to act as a casualty. The casualty must be able to swim in deep water.This course requires 100% attendance. Aim The aim of this course is to attain a comprehensive range of life guarding skills, which are required within the leisure centre facility.
Pre - course requirements - Candidates MUST be able to;
- Swim a minimum of 100 metres on their back and front continuously. - Swim 50 metres in 60 seconds and dive to a depth of 2 metres.
- Tread water for 30 seconds.
- Dive to the deepest part of the pool.
- They should be able to swim efficient breaststroke and have some knowledge of sidestroke.
- The RLSS state that candidates should be 16 years old prior to the commencement of the course.