First Aid at Work
First Aid at Work
To establish a standard, which creates a level of competence for first aid skills that meets the requirements for the Health & Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981.
Candidates must be:
• 13 years of age or older;
• Physically fit and able to deal with demanding emergency procedures.
Validity of Award
Length of Course
Full Course: 18 contact hours;
Revalidation: 12 contact hours.
On completion of training successful candidates should be able to:
• Provide emergency first aid at work (see EFAW syllabus)
• Administer first aid to a casualty with:
- injuries to bones, muscles and joints, including suspected spinal injuries
- chest injuries
- burns and scalds
- eye injuries
- sudden poisoning
- anaphylactic shock
• Recognise the presence of major illness and provide appropriate first aid (including heart attack, stroke,
epilepsy, asthma, diabetes)
Students will also be required to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the principles of first aid at
work, in particular of:
• The importance of personal hygiene in first aid procedures;
• The legal framework for first aid provision at work;
• The use of first aid equipment provided in the workplace.
The qualification is assessed as set out below:
• Continual assessment by the tutor;
• Completion of a 16 question Theory Examination Paper to the satisfaction of the course tutor;
• Demonstrating the ability to carry out CPR on an adult manikin; (externally assessed)
• Demonstrating the ability to carry out first aid for an unconscious casualty; (externally assessed)
• Demonstrating the ability to carry out first aid for a work place emergency situation. (externally assessed)
Further information & terms
1. The course requires 100% attendance. No refunds will be given either prior to the start or during the course.
2. If a candidate is to fail any part of the course they will have to pay a fee to be re-assessed (our tutors will not put anyone forward to do an assessment if they believe they cannot pass).
3. The times of the course will be approximately 8.00am – 6.00pm. Evening courses will run from approximately 6.00pm – 9.00pm.
4. All information provided in your application must be current and correct to the best of your knowledge at the time of applying.
5. SOS Training & Development reserves the right to amend course information as and when necessary.
6. SOS Training & Development reserves the right to cancel courses that have not got a sufficient number of students enrolled.
- Cheques should be made payable to ‘SOS Training & Development’.
- BACS payments (attracts a £10 discount!):
Sort Code: 40-14-01
Account Number: 91484605
Payment reference: Please use your name as the reference as this will help us identify the payment.
- We can also accept Postal Orders made payable to ‘SOS Training & Development’.
- Please do not send cash in the post
£105 or £95 for payments via BACS